While I am solar powered and love the sun, I also secretly look forward to winter and the convenience of a good, nutritious soup made in the slow cooker while I get stuff done.
I love to sneak a sachet of King Traditional Soup Mix into the slow cooker, and was extra excited to see that not only have they brought out a GF version, but the whole range is also on price lockdown at Countdown.
Usually I would use a chicken carcass or two (I believe “frame” is the more polite way to say “carcass”), but went for chicken legs, they were on spesh at Countdown and add a bone broth like component to the soup.
You can add whatever you like to the soup and it will work out fine, I used celery and the spring onions/leeks because that’s what we had – pop in some potatoes if you prefer your soup thicker.
Countdown | Chicken and Veggie SoupPrint This
- 6 x chicken legs (I leave the skin on)
- 2 litres of water
- 4 x stock cubes
- ½ celery
- 2 x spring onions that had grown into leek-like things
- 1 packet King Traditional Soup Mix Gluten Free Vegetable
This soup was super easy to make:
- Add ingredients to slow cooker
- Put slow cooker on high
- When the meat starts falling off the legs, pull the bones out and discard
- (I also pulled the spring onion/leeks out because they’d done their thang)
- When the meat is super tender and the vegies are soft, the soup is ready